Tuesday, 19 April 2016

Bardzo mi miło.


"You'll never know me
And I'll never know you
But you'll be so happy
When they call you up"
- Wallet, Regina Spektor

You know what I like about getting a 0730 to 1600 job? The routine. Some people might say that a routine is boring and perhaps it is, in fact caught on a different day I might even say so. But the thing is I know nothing about routines really, well except from went I went to school. I’ve always had a job that required me to work in the weekends or from 1000 to 2300 or where I would be woken up at five asking if I could meet at 7, different cities etc. Every day or week would be different. So for the first time I get up in the mornings at the exact same time and I go home from work at the exact same time. And you know what I have discovered, which I think is quite beautiful if I may say so? I have discovered the routines of other people. Every day at around 0550 I walk by an old woman sweeping the sidewalk outside of her place with the kind of broom they use in Harry Potter. Maybe it's even a Nimbus 2000. A few times a week around the same time as the woman is sweeping the sidewalk I see an old man out jogging. I wait for the tram with the same people and I’ve learnt where people get on and off and even made up stories in my head of what I think they might work with. Everyday there is a man wearing an Aegon cap. He always sits with his eyes closed and gets off at Rzymowskiego. Then there is this girl who always gets off at Domaniewska. I imagine she is working at one of the medical centres or maybe a kindergarten.

I find it quite interesting that without even thinking about it you know something about strangers and their lives. In some way a tiny part of our lives are intertwined in that moment; in the ride we share together. I know it probably sounds crazy, but it’s true. It’s just like when I go to my local Carrefour Express the guy, whose English is not so good, always looks at me and then look at a bag, because he knows I need a bag. And they guy where I eat my lunch knows that every day I’ll be there asking what todays special is, so I don’t even ask anymore; he just tells me! So without even thinking about it they know about my routines and what I am going to say to them. I think it's quite personal.

By observing you can learn so much about peoples’ lives without even knowing their names.
And that’s my thoughts on this Tuesday evening.


Dobranoc!



1 comment:

  1. This is brilliant!
    I really like your sense humour, laughted out loud twice reading this.

    ReplyDelete