Saturday, 11 June 2016

I guess you can say I’ve been on hiatus. It’s been one and a half month since I posted anything in this blog. I’ve been totally uninspired despite the fact that I’ve actually done and seen a few things that should have inspired me to post.

My dad visited me in the end of April for four days and I think if he had spent a few more days in Warsaw I would have been able to write a book about the bakeries in Warsaw. My dad loves cake and I love cake and we ate a lot of it in just four days. I think if you like cake Poland can be quite the challenge as they all look so good and there are a lot of cake!
Personally my favourite chocolate cake (Gorzka Czekolada) is from in Cukiernia Truskawka on Wołoska 70. I fell in love when I took the first bite. So if you have nothing to do and you like chocolate cake go and try it out.

Gorzka Czekolada!


Other things me and my dad did apart from eating cakes was eating other kinds of food. We both like food a lot. So we tried some traditional Polish food. We tried żurek (a sour rye soup), which I must say didn’t really look that welcoming. And having a hardboiled egg floating around in my soup put me off a bit, I mean just the thought of it puts me off. HOWEVER, I did like the soup and I did like the floating egg in it and I will try it again. It was weird but it was good.
We also tried Bigos, which is a meat and cabbage stew. To me it seemed quite simple, however I am not sure I should yell that out loud since apparently it takes around two to four days to make it. I imagine this is a dish every grandmother is proud of making and that every Polish family has the best bigos recipe. I picture two friends talking. One says: “My grandmother makes the best bigos,” and the other one goes: “No my grandmother makes the best bigos”. I liked the bigos I had but I think I would like to try someone’s grandmother’s recipe.
Apart from that I’ve had pierogi as well, simple but alright. I’ve tried Gołąbki, which is one thing that I actually liked a lot. Also I’ve noticed that they eat a lot of potato pancakes (placek po zbojnicku), which I had never had before, but here in Poland I’ve tried it with goulash and it was good.
But my conclusion is that Polish food is not that creative and it can be quite boring as well. But I guess sometimes fancy can be too much as well. I recommend people who visit Poland to try some though. And I think if you can find a small local place it’s probably gonna taste even better, because sometimes big restaurants or tourist places cooks traditional food with a twist of non-traditional.

This was a lot about food.

What else have I done apart from eating?

I’ve been to Łazienki Królewskie, which is a park and I actually love it a lot. It’s full of people and quite at the same time. There are so many path to choose from, pretty buildings and water in the park. On a sunny day it is just pretty awesome. Actually a few Sundays ago I went there to listen to a guy play Frederic Chopin music. I think it’s an arrangement that is gonna take place for a while every Sunday. It was not my kind of music and the guy could have played the same number over and over again and I wouldn’t even notice. But it was nice to be doing something and I had a good time.

Łazienki Królewskie



Last Friday I went to The View, which turned out to be a pretty long night; as I didn’t return home before 0830 in the morning. But what a party. It was on the roof on one of Warsaw tallest buildings. 

The View

I also had a night out at Pub Zielona Gęś near Metro Pole Mokotówski, which was rather eventful as I ended up singing karaoke for the first time in my life. I'm not quite sure if I am actually welcome there anymore after that night. Honestly I was too drunk to read the text on the screen and apparently I haven't memorised the lyrics to Summer of 69.

In July my best friend is coming to visit me for a week and we will meet in Poznan and stay there a few days before going to Warsaw. I am looking forward to that. I guess that is it for this time.

I enjoy Poland more and more for each day that passes and I can’t imagine going back anytime soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment