Saturday, 30 January 2016

Day five in Warsaw

 "I've always dreamt of travel
Why should we die where we were born?
Some road are laid with gravel
Sometimes you gotta build your own"
Lukas Graham, Take the World by Storm


I wasn’t planning on making a blog post today, but then I hadn’t got anything to do so I decided to write a post about not having anything to do in your new country.

I’m not sure if no one ever talks about loneliness. It’s such a weird thing and in some way it’s a taboo to admit that you feel lonely. I think everyone have felt lonely at some point in their lives and I think there are different kinds of loneliness and not all of them have to be negative, but none the less it’s still loneliness if you feel lonely. I remember when I moved to Ireland I started feeling lonely quite quickly. I think it started around five days after my arrival. Suddenly the days started feeling really long and I would go to bed really early because I didn’t know what I was supposed to do. I wasn’t unhappy, in fact I was happy. But sometimes you still want someone to share your stories with and talk to. The social part of my life was suddenly just not satisfied anymore.

After five days in Poland I have started to feel the same way. As for now I only have my computer and internet through my phone. So there really aren’t many options on what to do. No TV, no Netflix. Or maybe the creativity of the human mind is failing. Yes, you can go for a walk or explore the city. But it’s easier said than done. Especially here in Poland because it just takes a little more of you to actually go somewhere because of the language barrier. And when you have 24 hours in a day and sleep maybe eight of them you have 16 left. I mean if I have to go for a walk for 16 hours a day I might as well get half way to Denmark. You just don’t do that and you just don’t want people telling you to go for a walk, because it doesn’t really solve the problem. It’s still the social part that you start missing and it’s not gonna come by strolling down the street. Yes, it makes time move quicker, just like watching a film does. However, what you start missing is talking to someone that you know or actually seeing someone you know. To have someone actually sitting in the same room as you. You get desperate and you would probably be happy if your worst enemy walked past you on the street.

When I’ve been in Denmark I could go a month without seeing anyone and I wouldn’t even think of it. But in Denmark you know that they are there somewhere. But in Poland they just aren’t there, so you suddenly crave the social part even more because you know you can’t have it. At least that is how I feel. Also everyone at home have their lives and are busy with it. So they don’t really think: “Oh, Aprilia is sitting in Poland all by herself, let me ask if she wants to Skype.” No, it’s just not happening. My friends still have their friends. If they didn’t the situation would suddenly be different. But the truth is that they most likely don’t even spare you a thought and who can blame them. I would probably be the same. You don’t feel how other people are feeling and why should you?

With that said I feel like it’s important to note that I am NOT unhappy and I am NOT on my way back to Denmark. Long days just make you restless and when you don’t have many options on how to solve the restlessness it turns slightly into loneliness. When I was in Ireland the loneliness disappeared as I got to know my surroundings better. Here I know it’s gonna disappear as soon as I start working. Getting a routine is probable the best solution to a lot of things. But I also know that I will get colleagues and hopefully some great ones. It’s a process to build a life in another country and it takes time. I know this because I tried it before. In Ireland it wasn’t until I had to depart that I actually started making arrangements with people. But it was also a different situation as I didn’t work. Here I’m sure it’s gonna come automatically and it’s probably also going to go pretty quick.

Of course I have spoken to my dad already a few times while I’ve been here and I know I will continue to do that. Even when I am in Denmark I speak to my dad often. If too many days is going to pass it will feel too weird. My dad and I have had this Sunday arrangement the last times I’ve been away and I think we are probably just going to continue with it. For me it’s really nice to know that I have one day a week where I know for sure I am going to speak to him. It kind of makes me excited about every Sunday, because I love talking to my dad and telling him about everything that is going on. But also to hear if there are any news back home.

Moving to a new country is a process and it takes time. You can’t expect everything to be perfect from day one. However, it’s the way you decide to act that probably makes the different. E.g. has everything gone smoothly for me so far. I haven’t had any problems with getting my apartment and sorting out my doctor’s appointments and so on. I know the rest is going to go smoothly as well and if it doesn’t I’ll figure it out still.

I’ve become quite addicted to Lukas Graham’s song Take the World by Storm. Most of the times you listen to a song because it’s good and then once in a while you find one that you can actually relate to and I can relate to this song. Because it’s basically how I’ve felt.





No comments:

Post a Comment