Thursday, 4 February 2016

One week + two days in Warsaw

"I don't know how to stop, I give it all I've got
It's like my brakes are shot, I gotta have too much
I don't know how to stop, gets crazy but so what
You know it's what you want so give it up
and don't be scared of how good it feels"
I Don't Know How to Stop, Halestorm

One week and two days have passed by. Normally people would probably say that it seems like it has passed by in no time – but not me! It actually feels like I have been here for longer. I mean I hardly remember my three nights at the hotel and it feels like I have slept more than six nights in the apartment.  However, everything is in a good way; even though Saturday and Sunday were a bit long, because I didn’t have imagination to create something fun that I could do while being without Wi-Fi and TV.

I’ve started at work this Monday, which was a very long day. I met at 0900 and then there were introductions all day until around 1600. After that the company had arrange an event for all the new employees. I was not the only one who started Monday. My workplace is setting up a Nordic department and it’s not LIVE yet, so therefore there are a lot of new employees. However, we have started in two groups. One group started in January and then my group in February. But we were all invited to this event so that we could meet each other and our teams (I’m in the Danish team). It was some kind of MasterChef event and it was quite nice. But I wasn’t home before around 2200 that day. So it was a really long first day with a lot of new impressions. The rest of the week has been from 0900 till around 1630. And at the moment we are being trained in the products that the company offer.

On the 15th to the 19th of February the Danish team is going to a country visit in Denmark as the company also operates in Denmark. I am really excited about it as I would like to see the departments in Denmark as well. And it feels good to actually be going on some kind of business trip. It makes me feel like I actually got a real job. Which I by the way have!

But okay, enough of work. Let’s go to the serious business. Today is tłusty czwartek, which means if translated fat Thursday and it has something to do with the Catholic religion, which is probably why I had never heard of it. None the less the day is amazing, as when I got to work the building the office is in offered free donuts. And when I came to my office’s floor there were free donuts in the kitchen! During the day the donuts at the reception in the building were re-stocked and the same for my office. So basically you could take all the donuts that you wanted! It’s that amazing. I’ve heard that here in Poland it’s a competition and in the end of the day people calculate who ate the most. I have a lot of thought regarding Catholics, e.g. in Poland abortion is banned, which I find disturbing. But really who cares when the Catholic religion gives us donuts (and I’m not even religious)! Anyway, I’m pretty sure somewhere out there a Pole is sitting in on the floor playing with electrical lego (here I mean switchboard) and swears about the fact that people call it donuts when it’s called pączki.

I mean no offence with electrical lego. It’s rather a compliment, because Poles seem to know how to actually fix things. Anyway after work tomorrow I am going for beers with some of my colleagues.

Pączki

A song I really like.


No comments:

Post a Comment