"It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk
that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of
kindness and love."
Gandalf, The Hobbit
So the two weeks I have been here I have run into a few people who have been
speaking Polish to me (surprise, right?). It’s been in the supermarket or on
the streets. So I figured there was one sentence I had to learn because not all
these people speak English, so sometimes you just feel stupid walking around
saying “sorry” all the time. So I’ve learnt to say “I don’t speak Polish” in Polish. And today when I was walking home
from work an old man was talking to me, and because he probably was around 80 I
figured that he definitely didn’t speak English. So when he asked me something
I used my newly learnt to perfection sentence “Nie mówię po polsku”, and you know what, the old man smiled kindly at me
showing me he understood. So that means I am now ready to move on and learn
another useful sentence. It was clearly a success and funnily enough it
actually made my day.
I don’t have much to tell about
the weekend. It’s been nice to just stay home and watch some films. Friday I
had some of my collegues over and we had a good time. I also tried Pierogi for
the first time and I am a fan! It’s really good and just after my taste. I am
actually eager to try some Polish food, as long as it doesn’t have cheese in
it!
Today I finally got around to
open a bank account so that I actually have somewhere for my salary when it
comes. It’s also going to be good not to have to pay a fee everytime I take
money out from my Danish account.
So it’s been a pretty uneventful
weekend listening to my neighbours dog howl for hours. Now I am just looking
forward to see what’s going to happen this week and weekend.
Hi there, I came across your blog when looking for opinions about the real estate agents I wanted to approach, and I stayed here, read everything;). So, it is very nice to hear foreigner's honest opinion from time to time, about your own city. Wishing you good luck:) bartek
ReplyDeleteHi Bartek, and thanks for you comment. I love this city already and some of my collegues who have just come here as well like it too. One has used another agency but he also only have good things tosay about the company he used. :D
DeleteRegards
Aprilia
It is fun to hear about what different things you experience and what Warszawa is going to bring you (-:
ReplyDelete