Life takes
you to the most incredible places in this world. It takes you through the most
incredible and unimaginable emotions during your time. It also takes you to the places that you never
thought of going or even wanted to go. It’s unpredictable no matter how hard
you try to schedule it.
Most of the
time we don’t know what is gonna happen next and that is the most beautiful
part and the scariest part of it all. The
unanswered questions that can lead us anywhere or nowhere.
I didn’t
think that I would ever end up living in Poland. It’s unimaginable. Most of my
life my dream was to move to England, and yet I’ve had the opportunity but
still I’ve chosen somewhere else. Twice! Maybe it’s the fear of not being
satisfied with your dream if you do it, or maybe it’s the exciting part of
going off the tracks.
I’ve been
in Poland for ten months now and for the majority of the time I’m satisfied with how things are
and with living in Warszawa, though I miss the quietness and emptiness of small
towns most of the times. But it’s not something that plays a big part in my
daily life. I’m also happy with the possibilities and activities in this town.
Though I might not join in on much it’s nice to know, that it is actually here.
But still I have days where I am close to packing my suit cases and just go
home. Because sometimes I am still thinking “what the fuck am I doing here”.
I’ve been taking
Polish classes for around half a year, however I’m not really making a huge
progress. It feels fun to learn a new language, but it is not really fun. It’s
like being a kid who has to learn to talk. And I must admit my patience has run
out as I am not making the progress that I expected I would make. But learning
to talk is so hard and that is also why I decided that I will no longer take Polish lessons.
In October
I went to see a Polish film called Wołyń. It was
unbelievable tough and about a side of the Polish history that I have actually
never heard of before. It was about the second world war, but not so much about
Poland and Germany. But about the relationship/non-relationship between Poland
and Ukraine. I am definitely going to buy it when it comes out and bring it
back to my family in Denmark, because I want them to see it.
I was told about this cinema where they show Polish films for foreigners once or twice a month. So that is where I went to see Wołyń. It’s only 16 zl for the ticket and add another 12-16 zl for popcorn + soda. Which means that you can basically go to the cinema for around 30 +/- zl. However it was the oldest cinema I had ever been at and you can even get sofa seat if you come with your loved one.
I was told about this cinema where they show Polish films for foreigners once or twice a month. So that is where I went to see Wołyń. It’s only 16 zl for the ticket and add another 12-16 zl for popcorn + soda. Which means that you can basically go to the cinema for around 30 +/- zl. However it was the oldest cinema I had ever been at and you can even get sofa seat if you come with your loved one.
For the
cinema click here.
I also went
to see Inferno with a friend. Apparently, Cinema City sell tickets for 15 zl
every Wednesday. To me this is crazy as I have always been a person who would
go to the cinema max. 1 time per year as the whole experience with tickets and
popcorn plus beverages easily cost you 100-130 zl in Denmark.
But of
course the prices are lower because the salary in Poland is lower. But
sometimes prices and salary doesn’t go hand in hand. Sometimes it’s unfair and
other times it’s unbelievable!
Last week I
was on a three-day course in Leading Individual and Teams and I think one of
the best things that I learnt on that course was this quote: “Saying no to say
yes”. To me it put things in a perspective, because saying no almost always
identifies with something negative, when it can actually be looked upon as
something really positive. You are actually just saying no so you can say yes
to something else. Most people feel bad about saying no and good about saying
yes, and saying yes is secretly saying no to something else. So basically,
those two words have the same meaning.
And for
every expat out there then we have all probably said no to say yes at some
point in our move… and probably felt bad about it, because let’s face it, we
said no!
No comments:
Post a Comment